Read Time:2 Minute, 33 Second
Visual Effects (VFx) entails utilization of computer generated imagery & computer graphics with real life shoot so as to manipulate or create exaggerated yet realistic imagery or sequence including characters, action and environment etc. that is hazardous or impossible to replicate in real life while shooting. Film, television and gaming industry attracts large number of VFX Animation artists.
Steps involved in creating animations:
- The project is conceptualized and planned by writers, directors and producers
- At the pre-production stage, the script is translated into a storyboard. Basis this storyboard, shots are planned. Shoot of sequences involving VFX is also planned. Necessary shots & frames are planned.
- Animators add movement and personality utilizing stop frame animation as their base.
- Colours are added by Digital painters and finally, the various layers of animation are amalgamated. Texture, Lighting, shadows and soundtrack is then incorporated to give it a realistic feel.
Scale of project decides the number of animation teams that will be working on production.
Steps to becoming a successful animator:
- Study VFX Animation course: Successful VFX artist & animator should have a comprehensive knowledge about Animation besides being proficient in its varied nuances, techniques, technology, software, simulation, 2D and 3D graphics and modeling etc. Additionally he must gain training as well as exposure through participation in live projects, internships. He must learn from experiences of the industry experts through regular interaction with them.
- Passion and dedication to develop skills: In order to be successful, he needs to be abreast with the latest trends along with being proficient in use of new software, tools and techniques. Furthermore, he must develop his observational skills as well as learn acting so as to gain an understanding of expressions, body language and movements. This will assist him while recreating characters, showcasing specific emotions, qualities and personality.
- Corroborating with varied teams: VFX Animation projects involve working with teams from different departments. He must be open to criticism and should always be ready to learn new techniques and improve.
- Exciting portfolio and demo reel: He must keep an updated strong portfolio that showcases his best work along with sample projects in the online space. His portfolio must communicate his credentials including qualifications, interests, background as well as goals.
- Varied work experience: He must be open to do lots of freelance work in addition to securing a job. Besides this he must volunteer to do extra work. The objective being to enhance skills and learn new techniques besides networking with professionals.
- Look for Inspiration: The discipline, VFX, is a continuous evolving field and inspiration plays an significant role in enhancing creativity. Hence it is advisable for students to regularly watch films, shows, web series, etc. to discover new techniques and tools etc. in addition to stay updated about the industry. Furthermore, he needs inspiration, patience as well as passion for success.
- Open to experiment: VFX is all about creativity, innovative approach, exploring possibilities, hence he needs to experiment and be open to ideas.
Enroll for vfx courses for an exciting & enriching career ahead!